Be Prepared: Over 125,000 Auto Accidents will Occur this Weekend
May 25, 2012
By Katie Bryan, America Saves communications manager
Take extra care if you are driving over this Memorial Day holiday weekend. AAA announced last week that approximately 34.8 million people will take a trip by automobile of at least 50 miles this weekend. Based on driving records and claims history, the Consumer Federation of America (CFA) estimates that, during the Holiday travel period, over 125,000 auto accidents will occur, resulting in 75,000 to 100,000 auto insurance claims filed with the nation’s auto insurance companies.
Do you know what to do if you get into an accident? CFA produced the guide, Navigating the Auto Claims’ Maze: Getting the Settlement You Deserve, which contains insiders’ advice on how drivers who get into accidents can file a successful auto insurance claim and collect a fair settlement.
The consumer guide contains a handy “checklist” that consumers can use to keep track of key information and to make sure they are treated fairly. The guide and checklist provide crucial information that consumers often don’t hear about, including:
- It is your choice, not the insurer’s, as to where your car is repaired.
- How you can file a successful claim with the other driver’s insurance company, if you were not at fault in the accident.
- How you can avoid a “low-ball” offer for injuries sustained in the accident.
- Who you should call – and not call – at your insurance company to resolve claims’ problems.
- How to get help from insurance regulators if your company does not treat you right.
- When you should refuse to provide records to insurers.
- How you can protect the privacy of your personal information.
The complete guide for consumers is available at: http://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/Auto-Insurance-Navigating-Auto-Claims-Guide-12-14-11.pdf
The checklist that consumers can use to keep track of key information can be found at: http://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/Auto-Insurance-Claims-Checklist-12-14-11.pdf