Saving at Tax Time
Tax Time is a great time to kickstart or grow your savings for the future! U.S. Savings Bonds are one safe and easy way to do it.
There are a lot of great reasons to buy U.S. Savings Bonds at tax time.
- You do not need a lot to get started — start with as little as $50. Use just part of your tax refund to start saving.
- It is simple at tax time. Just select the amount you want saved from your income tax refund and you’ll receive your bond in the mail.
- Earn interest. Your money starts growing immediately.
- Bonds are safe. Bonds will never lose value and they are backed by the U.S. Government.
- No fees. There are no fees to buy or cash in your bond.
- Money for the future. You help your loved ones live their dreams when you buy bonds.
- Gift savings to your loved ones. Bonds can be purchased in someone else’s name – so you can help jumpstart the savings and dreams of the people you care about.
Tax Time Savings Bonds are Series I U.S. Savings Bonds. Issued and guaranteed by the U.S. Treasury Department, Tax Time Savings Bonds can be purchased directly on your tax form. You can cash in your bond after one year at most banks or credit unions, but the longer your keep it the more it will grow in value. Your bond will earn interest for up to 30 years. If you cash your bond within 5 years, you’ll lose the last three months of interest.
The current interest rate on Series I Savings Bonds is 1.76% through April 30, 2013, and will adjust for inflation every six months. Bonds offer competitive returns in comparison with other savings vehicles.*
Growth on your bonds is guaranteed! Bonds make saving safe, simple and secure.
To learn more visit www.bondsmakeiteasy.org or offline, text DREAMS to 41411.
- Holly Petraeus on Military Saves Week
- Tax Saving Tips and Savings Bonds
- Cindy Hounsell on Why Women Need to Save More for Retirement
- Asst. Sec.of Labor Borzi endorses America Saves
Kojuan Almond from the SSA on America Saves