Nation’s Top 10 Consumer Complaints for 2014
On July 29, the Consumer Federation of America (CFA) and the North American Consumer Protection Investigators (NACPI) released their annual survey of the complaints made to state and local consumer protection agencies from across the U.S.
The survey is based on responses from thirty-seven consumer agencies, in twenty-one states, covering a wide range of actual consumer complaints received in 2014. Below is the full list of 2014 complaints along with any changes in rank from 2013:
Top 10 Complaints in 2014
- (-) Auto: Misrepresentations in advertising or sales of new and used cars, lemons, faulty repairs, leasing and towing disputes
- (-) Home Improvement/Construction: Shoddy work, failure to start or complete the job
- (-) Credit/Debit: Billing and fee disputes, mortgage modifications and mortgage-related fraud, credit repair, debt relief services, predatory lending, illegal or abusive debt collection tactics
- (-) Retail Sales: False advertising and other deceptive practices, defective merchandise, problems with rebates, coupons, gift cards and gift certificates, failure to deliver
- (+2) Utilities: Service problems or billing disputes with phone, cable, satellite, Internet, electric and gas service
- (-) Services: Misrepresentations, shoddy work, failure to have required licenses, failure to perform
- (+1) Landlord/Tenant: Unhealthy or unsafe conditions, failure to make repairs or provide promised amenities, deposit and rent disputes, illegal eviction tactics
- (+1) Home Solicitations: Misrepresentations or failure to deliver in door-to-door, telemarketing or mail solicitations, do-not-call violations
- (-) Internet Sales: Misrepresentations or other deceptive practice, failure to deliver online purchases
- (+1) Health Products/Services: misleading claims, unlicensed practitioners, failure to deliver
- (not in top 10 last year) Household Goods: Misrepresentations, failure to deliver, faulty repairs in connection with furniture or appliances
Download the report for more information about the fastest growing and newest complaints, suggestions that agencies made for new consumer protection laws, and examples of real-world complaints (by category) with recommendations for consumers.
Credit and Debt issues remain a top complaint in this year’s findings. America Saves provides information to help you prevent debt in the first place, by saving for emergencies and can help you get out of debt.
- Written by Tammy G. Bruzon
- Category: Blog
- Published: 19 August 2015