LED: The best way to light up your home and fatten your wallet!
As the world strives to become more energy efficient, many are switching the type of bulbs used in the home from traditional incandescent (or slightly more efficient halogen incandescent) to light emitting diodes (LEDs) and saving at least a thousand dollars over ten years, according to research from the Consumer Federation of America. It is not only good for your wallet, but also helps the planet. By using more energy-efficient lighting and cutting back on energy consumption, emissions from power plants are also reduced—a win for consumers, a win for the environment.
- Don't buy the first LED bulb you see. Check out wattage or brightness (now indicated in lumens), light color (measured in kelvins), and dimmablilty to see what LED fits your needs the best. These are on the packaging. Consider buying a few different bulbs to test before installing them all over your home.
- Look at in-house brands because they tend to be slightly cheaper, and stores are more likely to quickly resolve any potential problems with their own brands.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR logo. It indicates that the LED you are purchasing meets minimum federal standards for light output, color quality, and warranty.
- If your bulb does not work properly, return it to the store for a replacement. The store you purchased it from is also more likely to contact the manufacturer and complain, helping to improve quality control.
- Keep in mind that the $1-$2 extra you are paying today for the LED only represents a few cents in costs each year over the life of the bulb, but the energy savings will be much higher.
By switching to LEDs, you can save at least $1000 over ten years and help save the Earth!
Are you trying to save money? Let America Saves help you reach your savings and debt reduction goals. It all starts when you make a commitment to yourself to save. Take the first step today and take the America Saves pledge to save money, reduce debt, and build wealth over time. And it doesn’t stop there. America Saves will keep you motivated with information, advice, tips, and reminders to help you reach your savings goal. Think of us as your own personal support system.
- Written by Jesse Kusimba
- Category: Blog
- Published: 15 June 2017