Vacation anyone? Summer is fast approaching so you might be gearing up for your next trip. Luckily, you don’t have to be rolling in dough to travel! Here are some tips to help you save money on your next getaway.
1. Book ahead. Travel deals are easier to find when you book ahead. Give yourself at least a few months to plan so you can snag the best deals. This will give you enough time to compare prices and choose the most affordable. If you’re traveling within the country, you can also compare the cost of air fare to the price of taking a bus, train or rental car. If you’re flying, you can mix and match your flights by booking one-way trips separately, sometimes with different airlines. This is a great way to fly at the lowest rate.
2. Travel during off season. If you’re traveling someplace tropical, go during “rainy season” or during the months that aren’t so popular for vacation. Air fare tends to increase during spring break or in the summer because most people plan for vacation around that time. Typically, you can find lower prices from mid-January to mid-March.
Tip: Rainy or snowy season varies depending on the region you’re looking to visit, so do your research!
3. Get a travel rewards card. Many credit cards offer travel points that go towards your next trip. You can even rack up enough travel rewards to cover the entire cost of your vacation. Granted, that would take some time, but it’s possible! Only open a travel rewards card if you can afford to pay your credit card bill in full each month. Typically, cards that offer the best rewards have high interest rates. Be sure to do your research and look at the interest rate before you sign up for a new card. Whatever you do, don’t accrue credit card debt just to take a trip.
4. Ditch the fancy hotel for a cheaper night’s stay. Try substituting a hotel with an AirBnB. AirBnB allows you to rent an apartment or private room in someone’s home. Prices are usually a bit lower than the cost of hotels. You can also try CouchSurfing to find a host that will welcome you into their home and show you the local attractions. Not only does this save money, but it makes for a unique travel experience.
5. Be flexible. The most important tip to saving money under any circumstance is to be flexible. This means you should be willing to take the cheaper route every chance you get. If flying out of an airport that’s slightly further will save you money, go with the further airport. If you’re staying somewhere that has a kitchen, make at least one meal a day yourself to save money on dining out. If you can use the public transportation in the area you’re staying, go with that instead of renting a car. The list of ways to be flexible goes on, but trust me, being flexible will always save you money.
6. Have fun! Make the most of your vacation by scheduling activities to do while you’re away. Again, if you book your trip early, you’ll have enough time to find the cheapest activities and attractions in the area.
Let America Saves help you save money so you can feel confident about your finances during your next vacation. It all starts when you make a commitment to yourself to save. Take the first step today and take the America Saves pledge to save money, reduce debt, and build wealth over time. And it doesn't stop there. America Saves will keep you motivated with information, advice, tips, and reminders to help you reach your goal. Think of us as your own personal support system.
Planning your next vacation? Here's how you can save money AND travel! v/@AmericaSaves >> http://bit.ly/2DoY63z