Four Ways to Take Advantage of Money Smart Week
Happy Money Smart Week! We’ve put this list of four fun – and money saving – items together to inspire you to take action and save this week. These items range from using your mobile phone to participate in a scavenger hunt or receive savings messages to joining a Twitter chat on savings. Let us know what you are doing for Money Smart Week on our Facebook page.
1. Join the Money Smart Week Scavenger Hunt
The Money Smart Week Scavenger Hunt is a free, nationwide, photojournalistic, scavenger hunt that uses the Scavenger Hunt with Friends mobile application. All of the tasks require participants to demonstrate how they are financially savvy running from April 1st through 27th. Rather than finding physical items, contestants will upload creative photos from the list of items to be found. Learn more at http://www.moneysmartweek.org/hunt
2. Join a Twitter Chat
- Join @UWMadisonCFS & @jmcollinswisc for a Twitter chat on 4/23 (1pm EST) in honor of Money Smart Week. Use #CheckYourCredit to participate.
- Join the @CFPB #moneytalk on 4/24 (2-4 EST) to discuss "Talking to your kids about money" buff.ly/YGpf7D. Follow @CFPB and Use #MoneyTalk.
3. Sign Up for Savings Text Messages
Interested in receiving helpful tips and reminders about your savings goal? America Saves launched a new free text message service, as part of Financial Literacy Month, to keep you motivated to save. Text messages will come in the form of tips to help you find money to save and reminders to save for your specific goal.
And if that isn't enough, we are giving away $500 to help one person reach their savings goal. But hurry, contest ends April 30, 2013.
4. Buy a Saving Bond for Yourself or a Loved One
The U.S. Department of the Treasury offers safe savings options that can help you take control of your future. Treasury savings options are:
- Affordable. You don’t need a lot of money to save. You can buy a digital savings bond online for just $25 and other Treasury securities for $100—and there are no fees.
- Safe. Treasury savings options protect your original principal. In addition, you can safely buy and manage them online through TreasuryDirect—the Treasury Department’s secure, web-based system.
- Convenient. You can buy and manage Treasury savings options online, 24/7, at the time most convenient for you—no more waiting in line.
Visit the Treasury Department’s Ready.Save.Grow. site – www.treasurydirect.gov/readysavegrow – to decide which of the six Treasury savings options may be right for you. Create your free TreasuryDirect account today and build tomorrow’s savings.
About Money Smart Week
Money Smart Week® is a public awareness campaign designed to help consumers better manage their personal finances. This is achieved through the collaboration and coordinated effort of hundreds of organizations across the country including businesses, financial institutions, schools, libraries, not-for-profits, government agencies and the media. The effort was created by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in 2002.
More from America Saves:
- Only Two Weeks Left to Sign Up for Texts and a Chance to Win $500!
- How to Talk to Children About Money
- Budgeting Can Help You Weather Tough Times
- Three Ways to Take Advantage of National Retirement Planning Week
- To ROTH or not to ROTH?
- Written by Katie Bryan
- Category: Blog
- Published: 22 April 2013