Top Consumer Complaints in 2012 Include Do Not Call Violations and Credit/Debt Issues
August 6, 2013
By Katie Bryan, America Save Communications Director
Last week the Consumer Federation of America released its annual list of the Top Ten Consumer Complaints. The information was collected from forty agencies in twenty states concerning the most common, fastest-growing and worst complaints they received in 2012. Below is the full list of 2012 complaints along with any changes in rank from 2011.
Top Ten Complaints in 2012
- (-) Auto: Misrepresentations in advertising or sales of new and used cars, lemons, faulty repairs, leasing and towing disputes
- (+1) Home Improvement/Construction: Shoddy work, failure to start or complete the job
- (-1) Credit/Debt: Billing and fee disputes, mortgage modifications and mortgage-related fraud, credit repair, debt relief services, predatory lending, illegal or abusive debt collection tactics
- (+1)Utilities: Service problems or billing disputes with phone, cable, satellite, Internet, electric and gas service
- (-1) Retail Sales: False advertising and other deceptive practices, defective merchandise, problems with rebates, coupons, gift cards and gift certificates, failure to deliver
- (-) Services: Misrepresentations, shoddy work, failure to have required licenses, failure to perform
- (New) Home Solicitations: Misrepresentations or failure to deliver in door-to-door, telemarketing or mail solicitations, do-not-call violations
- (-1) Landlord/Tenant: Unhealthy or unsafe conditions, failure to make repairs or provide promised amenities, deposit and rent disputes, illegal eviction tactics
- (-2) Internet Sales: Misrepresentations or other deceptive practice, failure to deliver online purchases
- (-) Household Goods: Misrepresentations, failure to deliver, faulty repairs in connection with furniture or appliances
Do-not-call violations made a new appearance on the list at #7. If you have not already signed up for the National Do Not Call Registry you can do so for free at https://www.donotcall.gov/. You only need to sign up once. Most telemarketers should not call your number once it has been on the registry for 31 days. If they do, you can file a complaint at the Website.
Credit and Debt issues remain a top complaint in this year’s findings. America Saves provides information to help you prevent debt in the first place, by saving for emergencies, and to help you get out of debt.
- Written by Katie Bryan
- Category: Blog
- Published: 07 August 2013