National Save for Retirement Week 2014
The eighth annual National Save for Retirement Week (NS4RW), taking place next week, October 19th – 25th, provides a great opportunity to reflect on your personal retirement goals and determine whether you’re on target to reach them.
National Save for Retirement Week is the first congressionally endorsed, national event formally calling on all employees to take full advantage of employer-sponsored retirement plans. It is also an effort to raise public awareness about the importance of saving for retirement. During the week, NS4RW coordinator National Association of Government Defined Contribution Administrators, Inc. (NAGDCA), employers, partners, and many others will seek to:
- help employees be more aware of the need to save now for the future,
- promote the benefits of getting started saving for retirement early, and
- create a culture that promotes and values saving in the workplace and the community.
It is important to begin saving today for retirement – or increase your contributions if you aren’t meeting your goals. Experts predict that retirees will need from 80 percent to 100 percent of their pre-retirement income to maintain their lifestyle after retirement. Yet, surveys show that most Americans remain unprepared for retirement.
Take advantage of National Save for Retirement Week by researching what your savings options are, using savings calculators and benefit assessment tools to determine what your retirement goals should be, and using tools like the America Saves pledge to stay on track. Not sure where to start? Here are a few tips and tools for you:
- The best place to start saving for retirement is at work through a 401k. http://ow.ly/CNcGP
- Take advantage of savings calculators to determine your retirement goals. http://ow.ly/Bfizh
- Estimate benefits, discover factors affecting your retirement, & more! http://ow.ly/BegK3
- If work doesn't offer a retirement plan, save individually through an IRA! http://ow.ly/CNcPk
- Get motivated to save for retirement with America Saves text message tips and reminders. Just take the America Saves Pledge and choose “retirement’ as your savings goal. http://americasaves.org/pledge
- Written by Tammy G. Bruzon
- Category: Blog
- Published: 16 October 2014