Make Saving Automatic
It can be hard to put aside money for savings. But there is an easy way to save money without ever missing it. Make your savings automatic. You can start small and save $20 a week or month or you can try and save more.
How to save automatically
- Many employers allow you to divide your paycheck into different accounts. Take advantage by putting part of your pay into a savings account.
- If you get paid in cash, take a small amount to the bank to deposit into a savings account. Many banks make this easy by allowing you to deposit cash directly at an ATM. Tip: do this the day you get paid. That way you will be less tempted to spend the money.
Why automatic savings works
- Saving automatically makes it easier to save because your money is saved with each paycheck – you don’t have to think about how much to save or take any additional steps.
- It’s tempting to spend money when it’s readily available. If you don’t see the money, you are less likely to miss it.
I don’t have enough money to save
Everyone has the ability to save. At America Saves, we say “Start Small, Think Big.” You can start with only $10 a week or month. You have to start somewhere. When you get extra income, you can add that money to your account as well:
- Put a portion of your tax return money into savings.
- Put birthday or holiday money into savings.
- Hold a garage sale and put that money into savings
Over time, your deposits will add up. Even small amounts of savings can help you in the future.
Do you save automatically? Let us know on our Facebook page.
Written by Katie Bryan
Published: 10 August 2011