Join Our Team
The Consumer Federation of America is seeking a dynamic leader to join our team to direct the America Saves Campaign. America Saves motivates, encourages and supports low and moderate income households to save money, reduce debt and build their personal assets. Our research-based Campaign uses the principles of behavioral economics and social marketing to encourage changes in behavior. Non-profits, government, and corporations participate in America Saves nationally and through local, regional, and statewide campaigns around the country. America Saves Week, an annual effort, is a focal point of the Campaign and galvanizes people, resources and activities throughout the United States around the savings issue.
In addition to serving Americans from all walks of life, America Saves also currently targets two populations with unique savings needs through Military Saves and America Saves for Young Workers. Military Saves is a component of America Saves and a partner in the Department of Defense's Financial Readiness Campaign, which seeks to motivate, support, and encourage military families to save money, reduce debt, and build wealth. America Saves for young workers is a program to support and motivate young workers to use direct deposit to save part of their earnings.
America Saves (www.AmericaSaves.org), a campaign managed by the nonprofit Consumer Federation of America (www.ConsumerFed.org), seeks to motivate, encourage, and support low- to moderate-income households to save money, reduce debt, and build wealth. America Saves encourages individuals and families to take the America Saves pledge and organizations to promote savings year-round and during America Saves Week (www.AmericaSavesWeek.org). Over 400,000 people have taken the America Saves Pledge and thousands of organizations across the country participate in the America Saves campaign.
The America Saves intern will work closely with multiple members of the America Saves team. The intern will have several areas of responsibility, which may be tailored to fit individual interests and abilities:
- Social networking: Help staff in maintaining a compelling presence on Facebook and other social networking sites.
- Communications: Assist staff in developing and editing e-newsletters, blog entries, and press releases; help write, format and send emails; and help keep contact lists up-to-date.
- Campaign Coordination/Partner Building: Work with staff to assist local America Saves campaigns and partners nationwide.
- Technology: Learn the organization’s website system in order to help keep the website updated; learn the email software to be able to send and monitor email communications.
- Press: Monitor the news for story opportunities, draft letters to the editor, develop and maintain press lists.
- Research: Assist with savings research projects.
- General: Provide back-up and support to the America Saves staff.
America Saves is looking for applicants who strongly agree with the CFA’s mission of consumer protection, and who see the importance of non-profit research, education, and advocacy. Experience in communications, journalism, website development, and/or sociological research is a plus.
The internship, full or part time, is based out CFA’s office in downtown Washington, DC. The internship is unpaid, though course credit can be given if the intern makes appropriate arrangements. In-city transportation stipends may be available.