In order to build a nationwide youth savings movement, provide some degree of financial stability to youth and young adults, and remain on the cutting edge of youth financial capability, America Saves is creating and hosting its inaugural National Youth Advisory Council, to run from March 2021 until February 2022.
Who should apply?
People who will be at least 14 and younger than 24 on March 1, 2021.
Tell me more
The Council is very intentionally designed to include young people with a wide variety of experiences and skillsets. NYAC will be made up of twenty-two 14 – 24 year-olds divided across two tracks: high school and post-high school. The post-high school track will include both youths enrolled and not enrolled in secondary education. Councilmembers will be paid $150 per session, for a cycle that runs March 2020 – February 2021. The high school youth will meet once a month on Sunday evenings at 5 pm Eastern. Post high school cohort will choose their meeting time once the group is formed.
Members of the Council will rotate through four areas of responsibility to build their skills and utilize their interests:
Savings Advocates are in charge of promoting the council by speaking at places like high schools, colleges, and public libraries. As COVID prohibits in-person gatherings, for now, advocates will host online meetings/informational sessions for people interested in joining the council.
Content Creators will make videos, digital posters, artwork, or posts for the America Saves social media site and for the NYAC’s social media. Skills utilized for these projects include graphic design, Photoshop, and/or video editing.
Communications projects include organizing and planning events, like a zoom meeting discussing tips for saving money or a basic personal finance class. They will also help to recruit people to these events and are in charge of determining key financial messages to be communicated in the other groups’ projects.
Financial Literacy projects are for members with an interest or background in finance, financial education, or anything money-related. If you’re interested but don’t know that much, don’t worry we’ll teach you.
Applications are due by January 3, 2021
Interviews will be January 20 - 27, 2021
And the first meeting of the NYAC will be Sunday, March 14th at 5pm Eastern / 4pm Central / 3pm Mountain / 2pm Pacific
Apply here: https://bit.ly/NYAC2021app
If you don't have a resume, or an adult who can help you build one, use our template: https://bit.ly/NYACResumeTemplate
If you're on the fence about applying, watch our informational Town Hall: https://youtu.be/XXEGhrq8dgA
Most of us aren't born knowing all there is to know about finances, and even as adults can recognize that getting support from an experienced financial professional is incredibly beneficial.
That's why America Saves has partnered with AFCPE® and the Yellow Ribbon Network to provide complimentary one-on-one financial coaching or counseling to anyone who takes the America Saves or Military Saves Pledge.
To take advantage of this opportunity and get a clear view of your finances, be connected to resources, and get professional support in making a plan to achieve your savings goal, take the America Saves Pledge or Military Saves Pledge
Then watch your inbox for your Welcome email, which has the necessary links for you to sign up and be connected with an accredited financial counselor. Oh, and don't forget to put America Saves as your referrer when you sign up!
CONSUMER FEDERATION OF AMERICA “#THINKLIKEASAVERSWEEPSTAKES”
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. SWEEPSTAKES OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES OR DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA WHO ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER ON THE DATE OF ENTRY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
1) SWEEPSTAKES PERIOD: The #ThinkLikeASaverSweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes” or the “Promotion”) starts October 22, 2020 at 12:00:00 AM Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends November 20, 2020 at 11:59 PM ET (the "Sweepstakes Period").
2) ELIGIBILITY: The Promotion is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia, who are 18 years of age or older on the date of entry. The officers, directors and employees of the Consumer Federation of America (the “Sponsor”) its subsidiaries and affiliated organizations, advertising and promotion agencies, persons engaged in the development, production or distribution of materials for this promotion (collectively, the “Promotion Parties”) and the immediate family members (parent, child, sibling, and spouse of each) of and/or persons living in the same household as such individuals (whether related or not) are not eligible to participate. This Sweepstakes is void where prohibited by law.
- HOW TO PARTICPATE AND ENTER THE SWEEPSTAKES: To enter the Sweepstakes, you must complete the following steps:
- If you previously have not done so, go to https://americasaves.org/for-savers/pledge or https://militarysaves.org/for-savers/savings-tools-and-resources/take-the-pledge and follow the on-screen instructions. You must complete and submit the America Saves or Military Saves Pledge Form (the “Pledge Form”) as instructed to participate in the Promotion. If you have already completed the Pledge Form, it must have been completed within the last twelve months prior to the start of the Promotion or it will have to be resubmitted.
- Attend one of the below listed virtual “town halls” at the America Saves (@AmericaSaves) page on Facebook* at https://www.facebook.com/AmericaSaves:
Time (Eastern Time)
October 22, 2020
2:00 pm to 3:00 pm
November 5, 2020
2:00 pm to 3:00 pm
November 19, 2020
2:00 pm to 3:00 pm
Sponsor reserves the right to change the date and time of a town hall at its sole discretion. All updates will be posted on https://www.facebook.com/AmericaSaves.
- Share your top takeaway from the town hall (you participated in) as a comment on the America Saves Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AmericaSaves or the Military Saves Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/MilitarySaves. Your post must be made by 11:59 pm ET, the day after the end of the respective town hall. All information used as your comment to describe your top takeaway, such as captions, photos, videos, and posts submitted shall be collectively referred to herein as the “Entry”. Entries must comply with the Guidelines and Restrictions defined below. Entries will not be judged. There is a limit of one (1) Entry per person/per email address throughout the Promotion.
If any individual submits entries in excess of the disclosed maximum, by any means, including but not limited to establishing multiple email accounts, they will be disqualified from participation in this Sweepstakes. The name of the person submitting the Sweepstakes Entry must be the authorized account holder of such email address, otherwise, Entry may be deemed void. In the event of a dispute over the identity of the potential prize winner, the Entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of Entry, and the potential prize winner may be required to provide identification sufficient to show that he/she is the authorized account holder of such email address. It is the sole responsibility of the Entrant to notify the Sponsor in writing if the Entrant changes his or her email or postal address during the Sweepstakes Period.
Guidelines and Content Restrictions
- The Entry must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity, copyright, trademark or other intellectual property rights;
- The Entry must be in English;
- The Entry must not contain any personal information;
- The Entry must not promote and/or endorse a political agenda;
- The Entry must not disparage or embarrass Sponsor, their owners and employees, or any other person or party affiliated with the Promotion and administration of this Sweepstakes;
- The Entry must not feature brand names or trademarks of others;
- The Entry must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- The Entry must not contain any materials relating to lotteries, gambling, tobacco, alcohol or drugs, pornography, adult-oriented content or any other sexually explicit material;
- The Entry must not contain anything that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
- The Entry must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where the Entry is created.
BY SUBMITTING YOUR ENTRY, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOUR ENTRY (INCLUDING YOUR USERNAME AND PROFILE PICTURE) MAY BE POSTED ON FACEBOOK, AND/OR SPONSOR’S PROPRIETARY WEBSITE, WHERE IT MAY BE VIEWED, SHARED (BY USERS OF FACEBOOK AND VARIOUS OTHER INTERNET-BASED SITES) AND COMMENTED ON BY THE SPONSOR AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC.
By submitting an Entry in this Promotion, Entrant agrees to comply with these Official Rules. Entries that do not comply with these Official Rules and Guidelines and Content Restrictions above, as determined in Sponsor and/or Administrator’s sole discretion, will be disqualified from the Sweepstakes. Decisions of the Sponsor and/or Administrator are final and binding.
By entering this Promotion, each Entrant agrees to grant the Sponsor, subsidiaries, and affiliates and its agents and designees, the exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sub-licensable right to exercise the copyright, publicity, database rights and any other rights Entrant has in the Entry, and also the right and permission to edit, modify, cut, rearrange, add to, delete from, copy, reproduce, translate, dub, adapt, publish, exploit, and use the content of and elements embodied in the Entry, in any media now known or hereafter devised (including without limitation, the Internet), for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. Each Entrant hereby represents and warrants that he/she is the original author/creator of his/her Entry and the Entry will not infringe any third party's copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, or other proprietary rights or rights of publicity or privacy. Sponsor's use of information submitted to Sponsor in connection with this Promotion will be subject to the terms and conditions of these Official Rules.
Each Entrant acknowledges that other Sweepstakes participants may have used ideas and/or concepts in their Entry that may be similar in idea or concept to what is included in Entrant’s Entry. Each Entrant understands and agrees that he/she shall not have any claim against any other Entrant or Sponsor arising out any such similarity or be entitled to any compensation because of any such similarity.
Proof of submission of Entry does not constitute proof of receipt of Entry. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned to Entrants. Each Entry submission must be manually key stroked and manually entered by the individual Entrant; automated and/or repetitive electronic submission of entries (including but not limited to entries made using any script, macro, bot, or Sweepstakes service) will be disqualified and transmissions from these or related email or IP addresses may be blocked.
4) PRIZE DRAWING AND DRAWING SCHEDULE: There will be a total of three (3) random drawings conducted from all eligible entries submitted during each applicable Drawing Period, as outlined in the “Drawing Schedule” below. Each random drawing will be held on or about the drawing dates noted below and conducted from amongst all eligible entries received during each applicable Drawing Period by the Administrator as follows:
The Administrators’ decisions on all matters pertaining to the Sweepstakes are final. Odds of winning a prize depend on the total number of eligible entries received per Drawing Period. Entries included in one Drawing Period will not be eligible for subsequent drawings. Potential winners are subject to eligibility verification and compliance with these Official Rules. Limit one (1) prize per household throughout the entire Sweepstakes.
5) WINNER NOTIFICATIONS AND PRIZE FULFILLMENT: Each potential Prize winner will be notified within three (3) business days of the respective prize drawing by email at the email address provided at time of completion of the Pledge Form. Each potential Prize winner will be required to complete, sign, and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release and; where legal, a Publicity Release (collectively the “Affidavit”). The complete Affidavit must be returned to the Administrator by the date stated in the notification email/letter or the prize will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate potential Prize winner. If the potential Prize winner (i) cannot be contacted after a reasonable attempt has been made by Administrator (as determined in Sponsor’s sole discretion); or (ii) fails to timely return the required paperwork without alteration and in the form presented by Administrator; (iii) refuses the prize; or (iv) the prize or prize notification is rejected or returned as undeliverable, then such potential Prize winner will be disqualified and forfeits all rights to be deemed a winner in the Sweepstakes and receive the prize offered, and an alternate potential Prize winner will be notified, time permitting. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
6) PRIZE: Fifteen (15) Prizes (five per drawing period): $500 prize check. Retail Value (“RV”) of $500. Total RV of all Prizes to be awarded: $7,500. Prize will be fulfilled within 3 to 5 weeks after verification of eligibility.
7) GENERAL: Except as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion (and where lawful), no substitution of prize or award shall be offered and no transfer of prize or award to a third party is permitted. All federal, state, and other tax liabilities arising from this Sweepstakes are the sole responsibility of prize winners. No more than the listed number of prizes and awards will be provided.
8) CONDUCT: By entering into this Sweepstakes, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Administrator and the Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects and waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Sweepstakes or these Official Rules. These Official Rules are accessible at https://americasaves.org/for-savers/pledge and https://militarysaves.org/for-savers/savings-tools-and-resources/take-the-pledge throughout the Sweepstakes Period. Failure to comply with these Official Rules may result in disqualification. The Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual: (a) suspected of tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes; (b) to be acting in any manner deemed by the Sponsor to be in violation of the Official Rules; (c) to be acting in any manner deemed by the Sponsor to constitute unsportsmanlike or disruptive behavior, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY A USER OR ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND COSTS (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
9) LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: The Promotion Parties assume no responsibility or liability for (a) any incorrect or inaccurate entry information, or for any faulty, failed, garbled or jumbled electronic data transmissions; (b) any unauthorized access to, or theft, destruction or alteration of entries at any point in the operation of this Sweepstakes; (c) any technical malfunction, failure, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or communications line failure, regardless of cause, with regard to any equipment, systems, networks, lines, satellites, servers, computers or providers utilized in any aspect of the operation of the Sweepstakes; (d) inaccessibility or unavailability of the Internet or any combination thereof; or (e) any injury or damage to the participant’s or to any other person's computer which may be related to or resulting from any attempt to participate in the Sweepstakes or to download any materials from the Sweepstakes. If, for any reason, the Sweepstakes is not able to run through completion for reasons which may include, without limitation, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which may corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Sweepstakes, then the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes in whole or in part, without further liability to the entrants or third parties. In the event the Sweepstakes is cancelled, Sponsor reserves the right to conduct a random drawing to award prizes from among all eligible non-suspect entries received prior to the time of the action or event warranting such cancellation. With regard to this Sweepstakes, the Sponsor and/or Administrator will contact those entrants deemed as potential winners for purposes of clearance and awarding of any prize. The Official Rules prevail should there be any conflict or uncertainty relating to the promotion based on information or advice provided by any of the Released Entities (as defined below).
10) WINNER RELEASES: All Entrants, as a condition of entry into the Sweepstakes, agree to release Sponsor, Facebook, its directors, officers, employees, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, suppliers, printers, application developers, advertisers, promotion agencies (collectively the “Released Entities”) from and against any and all liability, loss, claims, demands or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages, costs, or losses to persons or property which may be sustained in connection with: (a) accessing the Sweepstakes page; (b) submitting an Entry or otherwise participating in any aspect of the Sweepstakes; (c) the acceptance, receipt, ownership, use or misuse of any prize awarded; (d) preparing for, participating in, or traveling to and/or from any prize-related activity; or (e) any typographical or other error in these Official Rules or the announcement of the offering of any prize.
12) DISPUTES: The Sweepstakes is governed by the laws of the United States. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. The construction, validity and interpretation of the Promotion shall be governed by the laws of the District of Columbia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules. All disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or related to the Sweepstakes shall be resolved in the applicable court within the District of Columbia.
14) SPONSOR/ADMINISTRATOR: Sponsor: Consumer Federation of America, Attention America Saves, 1620 Eye Street, NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20006. Administrator: Marden-Kane, Inc., 575 Underhill Blvd., Suite 222, Syosset, NY 11791.
ÓCopyright 2020 Marden-Kane Inc. All rights reserved. Entrants are hereby authorized to copy these Official Rules on the condition that it will be for the Entrant’s personal use only.
Facebook is a registered trademark of Facebook, Inc. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or in association with Facebook. Entrants understand that you are providing your information to the Sponsor, and not to Facebook. Any questions, comments or complaints regarding the Promotion are to be directed to Sponsor, at the address noted above, not Facebook.
The America Saves Summit: Building Financial Stability in Unstable Times will address head-on the pervasive financial instability for so many Americans. Join us for discussions with representatives from the government, private industry, financial services, the military, and the nonprofit sector. We will explore the varied financial landscape and concrete actions taken to address racial inequity and the Coronavirus pandemic. Additionally, America Saves will translate to its partners the insights and barriers explored during our direct-to-consumer Town Hall series. On the second day of the Summit, virtual attendees will hear from more experts in the field as we build a roadmap to targeting specific populations and how to promote saving in unstable times.
December 2nd and 3rd | 12noon - 1:30 pm Eastern
Check back with us regularly as we update our agenda
Wednesday, December 2nd
- 12:00 pm Welcome and opening remarks
- Jack Gillis, Director CFA;
- George Barany, Director, America Saves
- 12:07 pm Roundtable: What are the barriers to promoting savings in unstable times?
- Findings from AS Town Halls | Kia Young, AS Director of Communications
- The Financial Landscape | Sarah Godlewski, Wisconsin State Treasurer
- Perspectives from Financial coaches & Counselors | Rebecca Wiggins, Director AFCPE
- Military Community | Shannon Razsadin, Director of Military Family Advisory Network (MFAN)
- Consumer Debt & Savings | Bruce McClary, Vice President of Communications NFCC
- 12:47 pm COVID-19, Racial Inequities, and Financial Stability: Confronting disproportionate impact
- JPMorgan Chase | Nicole Sanchez, Head of Unbanked/Underbanked and Mass Segments
- Bank of America | Christian Bohmfalk, Senior Vice President, Savings Executive
- Veterans Affairs Administration | Joe Gurney, Senior Advisor, Fiscal Stewardship to the Under Secretary for Benefits
- National Disability Institute | Michael Roush, Director, Center for Disability-Inclusive Community Development (CDICD)
- 1:17 pm Call to Action from the Youth Perspective
- Amelia O’Rourke-Owens, America Saves, Director, Youth Financial Capability,
- Imani Joseph, One Summer Chicago Youth Intern
- 1:25 pm Setting the Stage for Action, Closing Remarks
Thursday, December 3rd
- 12:00 pm Welcome and Opening remarks
- George Barany, Director, America Saves
- 12:02 pm Building Financial Stability: Saving Automatically
- Hiring our Heroes | Brian Alvarado, Deputy Director
- Prudential | Harry Dalessio, Head of Institutional Retirement Plan Services
- Navy Federal Credit Union | Jaspreet Chawla, Senior Vice President of Savings Products
- FDIC | Emerson Hall, Associate Director of the FDIC’s Division of Depositor and Consumer Protection
- Bank of America| Bill Van Veen, Savings Product Executive
- 12:32 pm Roadmap to Financial Stability
- Carolyn Pemberton, Senior Program Manager, America Saves
- Employee Loan Solutions | Doug Farry, Executive Vice President, Employee Loan Solutions
- DailyPay | Matthew Kopko, Vice President of Public Policy
- Durham Children’s Initiative | Julie Wells, Vice President of Strategy
- 1:01 pm Building Financial Stability Together: Actions for 2021
- America Saves Week
- Military Saves Month
- Highlights: Opportunities to partner for resources, events, etc.
- 1:26 pm Closing remarks
- George Barany, Director, America Saves
The #ThinkLikeASaver Virtual Town Hall Series brings together industry leaders, subject matter experts, and influencers to directly speak to, support, and motivate everyday Americans no matter where they are in their financial journey.
In each town hall Savers will have the opportunity to win a $500 cash prize and take advantage of FREE financial coaching and counseling through Yellow Ribbon Network and AFCPE.
In this town hall, we’ll focus on starting (or restarting) your savings journey. During this live event, we’ll share simple, easy-to-implement solutions for effective saving, motivate you to set a savings goal, connect you with direct assistance from a Financial Professional, and give you the tools and resources to ensure your success. You will walk away with an action-plan to jumpstart your new savings journey.
The America Saves Team will be joined by Lisa Rowan, Personal Finance Expert at Forbes Advisor, Joseph 'JJ' Montanaro of USAA, and Amiyrah Martin Blogger and Owner of 4Hats and Frugal
WATCH THE REPLAY
Thursday, November 5 at 2pm ET
In this town hall we’ll share the best strategies to pay down debt. At America Saves, we know that paying down debt IS saving, but figuring out the best way to reduce debt based on your unique situation isn’t always as clear. Throughout this event we will answer questions like ‘Where do you start and how do you prioritize?, and ‘How exactly does paying off debt save me money?’ Get great insights on both consumer debt and student loan debt from those who can speak from their own experiences.
The America Saves Team will be joined by Moira Vahey, Communications & Outreach Director at Student Borrower Protection Center; Tom Quinn, Vice President at myFICO; Akeiva Thomas, Financial Educator and Founder of Bemused TV; and Robin Saks Frankel, Personal Finance Expert at Forbes Advisor
Saving for Major Life Milestones:
Thursday, November 19 @ 2pm ET
In our last town hall we’ll shine a spotlight on three major life events and how to prepare for them now. Education, homeownership, and retirement are three big savings goals that we all have, but often tend to put off until "someday" because they don't feel like an urgent need. Join this event for simple strategies to save successfully to achieve those major milestones.
The America Saves Team will be joined by Mitria Wilson-Spotser, Director of Housing Policy at CFA; Ric Edelman, Edelman Financial Services; Brianna McGurran, Loans Analyst at Forbes Advisor, Natalie Campisi, Home & Mortgage Expert at Forbes Advisor, and Taylor Tepper, Investing & Retirement Analyst at Forbes Advisor.
The #ThinkLikeASaver Town Halls wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for the generous support of our sponsors. Thank you for your support.
** See official rules for the #ThinkLikeASaver Sweepstakes