An America Saves Recap: July
July was a busy month both for America Saves and the world of personal finance: the Campaign for a Secure Retirement came to a close with the celebration of National my Social Security Week, America Saves launched into our current topic – “Saving for College;” CFED hosted a #SavingsforKids chat; and so much more.
We’re excited to relaunch the #FridayFive as a monthly blog highlighting the top five blogs or social media posts from the past month. Here is July’s #FridayFive:
1. The retirement landscape has changed drastically over the years from company pensions to independent retirement investment. This change has moved the responsibility of retirement savings from companies to the individual – making long term savings that much more important. After all, no one will save for you but you.
2. The White House Conference On Aging took place this month. Not only did this conference coincide with the 50th anniversary of Medicare, Medicaid, and the Older Americans Act, but it also celebrated the launch of aging.gov. President Obama emphasized the importance of retirement savings, especially in light of the staggering statistics of those without it. #thanksobama
3. Earlier this summer, CFED launched the Campaign for Every Kid’s Future at the Clinton Global Initiative America 2015. To bring attention to the Campaign, and to the importance of saving at an early age, America Saves joined CFED and its partners in the Campaign in late July for an hour-long tweetchat: #savingsforkids.
4. This month, America Saves joined in the celebration of the second annual National my Social Security Week. We were proud to participate in the Campaign for a Secure Retirement this year, focusing on the importance of retirement savings for everyone. my Social Security Week highlighted the ease of access to your personal account information through your free and secure account, and focused on the benefits that having an account can have for all demographics.
5. The last week of July saw the kick-off of our conversation on saving for college, particularly focusing on the savings tools that exist in order to start saving early, saving often, and saving long-term.
Thanks for joining us for this month’s #FridayFive. We’ll see you here soon for an August recap.
- Written by Tammy G. Bruzon
- Category: Blog
- Published: 07 August 2015