ASW2016 Savings Focus: Save at Tax Time
As America Saves Week 2016 comes to a close, we are once again reminded that the dreaded paper pushing and number crunching of tax season is at hand. But, let’s not forget the excitement that comes with getting back some of your own hard-earned money in the form of a tax refund.
Saving a portion of your tax refund can be a big step toward meeting your savings goals. This tax season, get ahead of your financial goals by splitting your tax refund into savings, and reward yourself with SaveYourRefund. Making smart financial decisions isn’t always easy, but splitting your refund couldn’t be simpler. Get ahead of your financial goals in 2016 by saving your tax refund.
Need tax assistance? Take advantage of a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. VITA programs offer free tax help to those who generally make $53,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English speakers.
- For America Saves Week 2016, the U.S. Department of the Treasury is: Developing a myRA toolkit and e-newsletter for organizations to help their constituents start retirement saving; Promoting myRA in a webinar for small business hosted by the Department of Labor; Supporting the #msavingfor America Saves Week photo contest through retweets and original content featuring Treasury officials; and, Sharing social media posts extracted from “Why myRA” infographic, driving traffic to full infographic on site.
- A community bank with seven branches in southern Colorado, First Southwest will distribute bank-branded flyers with tips for saving for a home, education, retirement, emergencies, and at work with links to helpful resources on assessing your savings, myRA, making savings automatic, Save Your Refund and more. The bank will also feature a banner highlighting the week on their website.
2017 update: The U.S. Treasury Department is no longer offering myRA. Learn more about all types of IRA acounts here.
Organizations like yours are sharing their activities and results with America Saves throughout the week. Find out more on what others have done for America Saves Week at http://americasavesweek.org/what-others-have-done.
Friday's Events & Activities
- #cashchat with Tarra Jackson
- Date: Friday, February 26, 2016
- Time: 9:00 am Pacific, 12:00 pm Eastern
- Hosted by: @MsMadamMoney
Go Green and $ave Green — February 22-27, 2016
Air Force FCU is in the midst of a Go Green Initiative and we invite you to share how you save money by going green! The winner will receive a $100 Visa Gift Card. Visit www.facebook/AirForceFCU for more details.
24-hour Women Can Save Marathon — February 26-27, 2016
Join Oraynab Jwayyed, Founder of Business Interludes, and other women on Facebook as she discusses ways to manage your money. Get tips and advice on everything money. Earn prizes, play trivia games, and learn how to save!
- URL: https://www.facebook.com/events/835703586541009
- Hashtag: #WomenSave
Importance of Saving — Friday, February 26 at 12:00 p.m. Eastern
The Pennsylvania Treasury is joining with partners in the public and private sectors to host a free, five-part webinar series to help Pennsylvanians learn more about a variety of financial planning topics during America Saves Week, February 22 - 27. This 60-minute webinar is presented by Michael Wishnow, senior vice president of marketing and communication for the Pennsylvania Credit Union Association.
- To register for the webinar series or learn more, visit PA529.com.
- Written by Tammy G. Bruzon
- Category: Blog
- Published: 26 February 2016