The #FridayFive: School, Millenials, & Board Games
If you aren’t on the @AmericaSaves Twitter bandwagon, it’s possible that you missed out on some great tweets this week! ICYMI, we want to share with you the top five pieces that highlight important topics for savers and partners alike.
Whether they’re articles or blog posts from America Saves, its local campaigns, or its partners, we’re sharing with you the best of this week’s personal finance, savings, and financial news. This week’s #FridayFive are:
1. It's almost September, Labor Day is around the corner, and college classes have started for so many already. So in light of all of this, how did your 529 plan fare? This Huffington Post article looks at the recently released Morning Start 529 Study to see which were considered the cream of the crop and which plans left savers wanting (or lacking, due to high fees).
2. OK, I'm about to get really biased: I LOVED this article from LaTisha at Young Finances. There. I said it. Millenials are being discussed in so many financial arenas - investing, debt, retirement - but you'll note I said "being discussed." As a millenial myself, I relish the opportunity to find someone who speaks my generational language and has something relatable and, at times, personal to share. A little advice from someone you can identify with goes a long way, especially when it comes to saving!
3. Whether you're an on-the-go parent, financially frugal, a DIYer, or a no-fuss saver, your savings strategies and quick tips are going to reflect your lifestyle and goals. Although this article doesn't encapsulate all the different types of savers there are, it's a great example of the ways in which we are diverse in our approaches to savings.
4. Education savings is a goal for the graduates, too. Making sure that you have enough for the student loan payments - and hopefully skimming some off the principle - can be a major priority. FAFSA reminds us here that there are opportunities for loan forgiveness - and you won't know if you qualify if you don't go take a look. Add it to your to-do list today!
5. Ever have one of those weeks where you see something that you’re really into and excited about, and then it becomes a part of a real discussion two days later? It's clearly a sign that there are board games I need to play this weekend!
A8: Play cash registers, Monopoly, money counting games are some ideas for kid investing games. #cashchat— More Than Wheels (@MoreThanWheels) August 29, 2014
Thanks for joining us for this week’s #FridayFive! We’ll see you here next week.
- Written by Tammy G. Bruzon
- Category: Blog
- Published: 29 August 2014