An America Saves Recap: August
August was a month of transitions for America Saves. We continued to focus on different aspects of planning and saving for college while moving into the wider conversation on saving for large purchases, like homes, cars, security deposits, and more.
This #FridayFive highlights the top five blogs or social media posts from the past month. We’re excited to share with you the August #FridayFive:
- When discussing student loan debt in the college savings conversation, the emphasis is often on saving before starting school. But what about those who are leaving college or who have already left college with a mountain of student debt? America Saves tackled the topic:
- One of our most popular tweets for the month of August honed in on the benefits of using a 529 Savings Plan to put away money for college. Do you know the benefits of tax-advantaged investments? Check out the blog link below for more.
- Happy Birthday to Social Security! Social Security officially turned 80 this month. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act in the law on August 14, 1935.
"Today, a hope of many years standing is in large part fulfilled. We have tried to frame a law which will give some measure of protection to the average citizen and to his family against the loss of a job and against a poverty-ridden old age.” - President Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Getting good savings habits started is as easy as clicking a button! At least it is when you’re clicking a button to watch America Saves’ 41 second video on Thinking like a Saver.
- Throughout the month of August, we launched our annual Product Survey to America Savers who signed up between 2012 and 2015 to find out where and how our savers save. The responses are in and we think you’ll find the details as juicy as we do! Stay tuned to AmericaSaves.org for the report’s release later this September.
Thanks for joining us for this month’s #FridayFive. We’ll see you here soon for a September recap.
- Written by Tammy G. Bruzon
- Category: Blog
- Published: 04 September 2015