America Saves Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month
In honor of National Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15 – October 15), America Saves encourages our colleagues and partners to share Spanish-language resources with their clients, members, and constituents to help them take financial action and save successfully.
According to U.S. Census Bureau population estimates as of July 1, 2013, there are roughly 54 million Hispanics living in the United States, representing approximately 17% of the U.S. population. The U.S. Hispanic population for 2060 is estimated to reach 128.8 million, constituting approximately 31% of the U.S. population by that date. Many communities throughout the country are witnessing that growth and making strides to support this increasing constituency with useful resources.
America Saves En Español invites Spanish-speaking individuals to take the America Saves pledge, where they identify a savings goal, an amount to save monthly, and a time period to save for – creating the simplest of saving plans. To help make that plan a reality, Spanish-language resources walk individuals through the steps leading to financial action:
- Set a Goal: What to Save For – emergencies, retirement, education, car, home, paying down debt
- Make a Plan: How to Save Money – five saving strategies, creating a budget (including a worksheet), saving at tax time, 54 ways to save, finding money to save
In addition, America Saves En Español offers:
- Guidance for saving automatically
- Stories from fellow savers to provide inspiration
- Credit Score Quiz, 12 questions that provide knowledge to help improve scores
- Saver Checklist Tool that shows how prepared someone is to save (forthcoming)
National Hispanic Heritage Month is a great opportunity for organizations to promote successful saving to Spanish speakers, and we urge you to take advantage of the ready-made content at America Saves En Español.