The America Saves Holiday Savings Challenge
Before back-to-school sales were even off the market, it was reported that major retailers were already on the hunt for ways to get you to spend your holiday dough.
As major spending holidays like Halloween and Christmas come and go, the opportunities to spend – spend – spend are around every corner and in every storefront. But you have a choice; you don’t have to buckle to the pressure.
This season, we challenge you to save $1 for every $1 you spend. It isn’t as crazy as it sounds:
- Make your list and check it twice. Be sure to include travel, food, gifts/tips, and other often forgotten holiday expenses.
- Prioritize and negotiate. Decide what's most important and what can be crossed off the list this year, and then take a good look at the dollar amounts you project to spend.
- Tally it up and set your savings goal. Is the cost still too high? Revisit your list to negotiate costs down some more. Once you’re at an amount (and a list) that is realistic and manageable, take that number and set it as your savings goal for the season.
- Make it automatic. Each time you cross an item off the list, set up a transfer from your checking account into a savings account. These active transfers will help establish an automatic habit. Having a hard time matching? Try revisiting and renegotiating your spending plan.
You don’t have to let holidays break the bank. Become a savvy saver by reducing spending and prioritizing savings this holiday season.
- Written by Tammy G. Bruzon
- Category: Blog
- Published: 05 November 2015