Tips, advice, and the latest news from the savings world.
I often hear that the hardest part about saving is getting started. That’s why we are going to post ways to Kick Start Your Savings each week on the America Saves Blog. Anyone can take action and start to save today.
The following resources will help you take positive steps towards saving more now:
Inspiration from the Experts
9 ways to save on back to school – From MSN Money
- Take inventory
- Get the school's list
- Go through the ads
- Check prices online
- Buy in bulk and bundles
- Take advantage of tax holidays
- Look off the beaten path
- Make the kids work for extras
- Shop throughout the year
Got Debt? It’s Time for a Reality Check – From AARP.org
- Challenge yourself to start paying off your bills now and work towards being debt-free.
It can be hard to put aside money for savings. But there is an easy way to save money without ever missing it. Make your savings automatic. You can start small and save $20 a week or month or you can try and save more.
How to save automatically
- Many employers allow you to divide your paycheck into different accounts. Take advantage by putting part of your pay into a savings account.
- If you get paid in cash, take a small amount to the bank to deposit into a savings account. Many banks make this easy by allowing you to deposit cash directly at an ATM. Tip: do this the day you get paid. That way you will be less tempted to spend the money.